Fresh Herb Dinner Rolls
Prepration Time: 2 hours
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 6 cups bread flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
Methods / Prepration
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in 1 cup warm water. Let stand until creamy; about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together the yeast mixture with milk, eggs, salt, butter, parsley, chives, and 4 cups flour. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough has pulled together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Grease two 9x13 inch baking pans. Deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a round ball, and place into the prepared pans. Cover the rolls with a warm, damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg white with 2 tablespoons of water; brush egg wash over tops of rolls.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.